- Zur Startseite 'Planet Schule' springen (accesskey = 1)
- Zu den Accesskeys springen (accesskey = 0)
- Zur Hauptnavigation springen (accesskey = 2)
- Zur Suche springen (accesskey = 4)
- Zum Inhalt springen (accesskey = 5)
- Infos und Neuigkeiten springen (accesskey = 6)
- Zum Impressum springen (accesskey = 9)
- eine Seite zurückspringen (accesskey = z)
The Genius of the East
The Mayans devised an incredibly accurate calendar. Their calculation of the lunar month varies by just 0.0004 of a day from the value accepted by astronomers today.
In China, in around 200 BC, the Han Dynasty encouraged scholars to compile a book known as The Nine Chapters, which attempted to recover and preserve forever the lost teachings of the Chinese mathematicians of antiquity. The text is dedicated to solving practical, real-world problems; how to divide land or goods and how to manage building works.
India was the first civilisation to develop a number system with a special symbol to represent zero – one of the great landmarks in the development of mathematics. Aryabhata, [476-550 AD] produced a method for finding the value of Pi which generates its true value more accurately than any other contemporary method.
In the 7th Century AD, a new regime was established, with its centre at Baghdad, which aimed to become the world’s greatest intellectual powerhouse. They founded a new centre for learning, called The House of Wisdom, which become the focal-point of attempts to bring together the mathematical know-how of Greece, India and Babylonia.
(Episode two of the four-part series "The Story of Maths")
Sendetermine: The Genius of the East
Bereits ausgestrahlte Sendungen:
Di. 25.09.2018, 7:20h